Communications & Advocacy Director - Legal Foundation of Washington - Seattle
About The Legal Foundation of Washington
The Legal Foundation of Washington is a non-profit created in 1984 by the Washington State Supreme Court to manage funding for the statewide legal aid network. LFW does this by distributing grants to legal aid organizations, partnering with the Coalition for Equal Justice to advocate for adequate state and local government resources for legal aid, and raising funds through the Campaign for Equal Justice. Since its creation, LFW has distributed $175 million to Washington’s legal aid community, ensuring low income persons have access to the justice system.
The Communications & Advocacy Director oversees messaging and communications for LFW and staffs the Equal Justice Coalition (EJC). The EJC is the arm of LFW that works to educate policymakers on the importance of civil legal aid and advocates for increased public funding on the local, state, and federal levels. The EJC’s work is on behalf of a diverse group of stakeholders including legal aid providers, clients, and those eligible to receive services throughout the State.
This position is responsible for leading LFW’s effort to educate the public, elected officials and the media about the importance of civil legal aid for low-income people. Additionally, the Communications & Advocacy Director works closely with key partners, stakeholders and our Olympia-based lobbying team to develop and implement communication strategies, education efforts, and media outreach to preserve and increase funding for civil legal aid in Washington. The work is challenging and fast-paced, and requires someone who works well both on a team and independently.
• Support development and implementation of communication and education strategies to ensure sufficient public funding for civil legal aid at the local, state and federal levels.
• Develop and implement communication and education strategies to create more broad-based awareness of the importance of legal aid, specifically with the media and general public.
• Work closely and in collaboration with LFW’s Campaign for Equal Justice to ensure continuity of messaging and a consistent online and social media presence.
• Collaborate with colleagues internally and externally (e.g. LFW grantees) to develop and manage print and electronic materials, ensuring consistency of theme and messaging.
• Serve as communications support to LFW grantees, helping organizations with project such as placing a story in the media, developing one-pagers, and building relationships with elected officials.
• Promote the further development of a nonpartisan, broad-based statewide network of supporters of civil equal justice.
• Serve as a liaison with key stakeholder groups including the Washington State Bar Association, the Office of Civil Legal Aid, the Access to Justice Board and others to further the Alliance for Equal Justice mission of making sure justice is available for those with nowhere else to turn.
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with multiple stakeholders and partners.
• Manage LFW’s and EJC’s websites and social media.
• Plan and execute annual lobbying trip to Washington, D.C. with state opinion leaders.
• Report regularly to the Access to Justice Board, and other stakeholders as requested; file required reports with government agencies; provide administrative and logistical support for volunteers, lobbyists, special events, etc.
• Other assignments and special projects as requested.
• Bachelor’s degree plus 3 years of relevant experience working in communications, campaigns, grassroots efforts, media, or nonprofit/social justice arena. Demonstrated ability to generate excellent written material and other communications quickly and accurately.
• Skill in working independently and with a team; excellent interpersonal skills and selfawareness;
• Ability to engage in some work-related travel (almost exclusively in-state); some schedule flexibility is required.
• Intermediate experience with Microsoft Office; recent work experience using InDesign; technical experience producing and presenting PowerPoint’s and marketing graphics and copy, strongly preferred.
• Experience working with diverse communities and incorporating diversity/inclusion/race equity practices at work and in life.
Salary and Benefits Salary is $ 65-70k, depending on experience. Excellent benefits package includes Medical and Dental insurance, Flexible Spending Plan for healthcare and childcare spending, an ORCA pass, Life and longterm disability insurance, three weeks of vacation, an optional 403(b) retirement savings plan and after one year employees are eligible to enroll in the organization’s retirement plan.
TO APPLY: Please send resume, cover letter, a writing sample and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled, application review will begin September 11.
LFW is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and fosters an environment free of barriers and discriminatory practices. People who are diverse in background, experience, race, color, national origin, gender, age, religious reference, marital status, sexual orientation, abilities, and other qualities are strongly encouraged to apply.