Graphic and Web Designer - San Francisco California
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is seeking a designer with a strong background in web and graphic design. A successful candidate will have a good understanding of the principles of web design, a portfolio demonstrating their skills, and experience collaborating with web developers.
- Work with EFF’s activists, technologists, and policy experts to design new websites for high-profile campaigns and technological tools that help protect privacy and freedom of speech online. Your work will help to shape the future of the Internet.
- Review existing sites for opportunities to improve user engagement, accessibility, compatibility with multiple devices and browsers, and internationalization.
- Create wireframes and user flows to help refine requirements and to communicate them to web developers.
- Contribute to EFF’s graphic design and print production needs.
- Practice human-centered design, assisting with the creation of user stories and conducting informal user testing.
- A portfolio of graphic design and web design work samples, including mobile / responsive sites.
- Two or more years of professional design experience.
- Experience in gathering and refining requirements from requesters.
- Experience with issues around accessibility and universal design.
- Basic understanding of web application development. You don’t need to know how to program, but some familiarity with CSS and HTML will help you communicate with developers.
“Nice-to-have” really does mean nice-to-have. It’s possible to have none of these nice-to-have qualifications and still be a great fit for the position.
Our Engineering and Design team is a diverse and friendly group that values work-life balance and making the office an enjoyable place to be. We frequently bring snacks to share, have silent movies days and visits from each others pets.
EFF is a great place to work. We offer a supportive and empowering environment, along with an excellent benefits package including housing cost assistance, student loans assistance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b)(7) retirement savings program with matching, paid time off, holiday benefits, parental leave, a dog-friendly workplace, and more.
As an advocacy organization, EFF is committed to being part of a diverse community. Diversity of life experiences makes a big difference in how we identify and litigate legal issues, design privacy-enhancing software, and organize our activism. To that end, we deliberately seek applicants with different perspectives, identities, and experiences to build an inclusive workplace to better inform our advocacy and defense of freedom in our digital world. EFF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply.
This is a full time, salaried, exempt position based in our San Francisco office with full benefits. As this position will collaborate closely with EFF’s activists, attorneys, and technologists, remote work is not an option.
To apply please submit a resume, a cover letter indicating your interest in the position and EFF and a link to an online portfolio of your work at the link below.