Illinois Legal Aid Online - Automated Documents Internship
This summer 2021 internship for law students focuses on updating and maintaining ILAO’s automated document programs (Easy Forms) for self-represented litigants. Using software development and plain language writing skills, the intern will modify Easy Forms to reflect law and technology changes. The intern will receive training on writing for a pro se audience and using technology tools that serve as an alternative means of delivering legal assistance to the public. Interns have the opportunity to learn about the legal aid community and to explore legal issues affecting low-income individuals. This position is unpaid. Interns are encouraged to obtain funding through their school or other organizations, or to receive school credit through an externship program.
- Develop and update document assembly programs using A2J Author and HotDocs
- Monitor and maintain a library or statewide forms automated document programs
- Create test plans to ensure quality and usability of automated document programs
- Integrate tester feedback and self-represented litigant resources into automated document programs
- Coordinate with translators to translate the automated document interviews and forms for low English proficiency (LEP) populations
Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO) is a small organization with a big mission. We recognize that justice is scarcest for those who need it most. We believe the law can help people find justice. We offer free, 24/7, online tools so that people use the law to get the justice they seek.
In 2019, nearly 3 million people used our website, IllinoisLegalAid.org, to find help with critical legal problems like domestic abuse, divorce, debt, eviction, deportation and access to medical care. ILAO is a non-profit organization that uses technology to help people understand their legal options, make informed decisions, and take action when a lawyer is out of reach.
Each year, ILAO relies on law students and law school graduates to achieve its mission. As a part of the ILAO team, they learn about the legal aid community and explore legal issues affecting lower-income families. They learn how to write for a wide audience and help to develop technology tools that are a key component of the access to justice effort in Illinois. They assist in the development and maintenance of ILAO’s technology resources, including how-to information and interactive legal forms.
- Familiarity with document assembly software, knowledge of HotDocs and A2J Author preferred
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate technical and legal information and ideas using plain language
- Excellent organization and attention to detail, and able to prioritize tasks for on-time delivery
- Enthusiasm for the use of technology in the delivery of legal service
- Demonstrated commitment to Illinois Legal Aid Online’s mission and goals.
Spanish language fluency is preferred, but not required.
This position will be entirely remote. Applicants are welcomed from anywhere in the world, but must be available for check-ins during regular business hours in the US Central Standard Time Zone.
ILAO is looking for law students for summer 2021.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com