4.5. Security Toolkit: Data Sharing
What Everyone Needs to Know
Sometimes when doing your work, you will need to share information and data with other people both inside and outside of your organization. This can range from individual files to large-scale data sharing. Whenever data leaves your office’s internal systems and environment, this creates a risk that you’re sharing more than you mean to. Once a document leaves your office’s technology, it can be distributed far and wide without you knowing.
This requires not only IT staff creating methods for sharing and tracking data, but also requires staff to think carefully about what they’re sharing and how. Try to use the technologies IT staff recommend whenever sharing data even within your own office, and only share data outside of your office’s systems when you need to.
What IT Needs to Know
When it comes to data sharing, internally and externally, do you know the who, what, when, where, and why? Do you have the technology and policies in place to protect your data?
- Internally, do staff and volunteers only have access to data and files they are authorized to use?
- Do staff and volunteers have appropriate, limited access within the systems being used (e.g., case management, accounting, donor management, human resources)
- When sending out sensitive data, do you know what is being sent, who is it being sent to, and if it is being sent securely?
- Do you have the tools in place to know or log what data is being accessed by whom?
- Do you have the technology and polices in place to allow staff to share data securely?
To facilitate safe and secure file sharing, make sure you’ve implemented secure file sharing methods (e.g. file sharing solutions as part of your document management system). Also make sure you’ve documented and trained users on how and when to use those technologies. Finally, ensure that shared data and emails are encrypted to provide another layer of protection for data sharing.
Solutions to consider:
- Mimecast: Website, Pricing
- SharePoint Website, Pricing
- BOX: Website, Pricing
- NetDocuments: Website
- Microsoft Data Loss Prevention: Website